The chief enemy of creativity... is "good" sense. ~Pablo Picasso

black bean brownies - I didn't buy it either...

So I mentioned the idea of doing a better job using up food. 
I've decided that not only will that facilitate being less wasteful, but it will also get me out of some food ruts. I tend to become so enamored with things I overdo it until I'm absolutely sick of it. When I first moved to San Diego I was so excited about the opportunity to eat good sushi anytime I wanted... I ate it for almost every meal. Of course I was warned of the amount of fish I was consuming, but for a good year I probably ate it 5 times a week. Then... one day... it didn't sound appealing. I was convinced it was because it was "winter". Which as you know, in San Diego, isn't really "winter" but the occasional flip flop day is traded for some cute flats and a scarf might be thrown into the mix... ha. 

Either way, I concluded that because it was "cold" outside, I didn't want cold food inside my body. When "winter" was over my friends hoped so was my anti sushi stint. My theory was disproved when for the next year and a half - sushi just never really sounded good to me. I had overdone it. Eventually my love for sushi came back but this time I was more rational in my consumption so as not to ever get to an anti sushi phase ever again. 

Enter the reason for this blog. Using up food in ways I don't "normally" think of, has created reasons so try new recipes with ingredients I may not normally put together. 
Todays ingredient. Black Beans. 

There's a small problem in my house. Half eaten cans of black beans. I don't even like black beans. Until... I saw black beans and brownies in the same title. 

Some friends are visiting us tonight and I couldn't remember if they're vegetarian or vegan... so I thought I'd play it safe and make sure everything is safe either way (vegan). I'd already planned the dinner portion but was stalled in the dessert area... until I saw this. 

Sure enough it calls for about 1/3 cup of black beans (which is what is almost always the part that gets thrown away). Flax seed, which I've recently become more inclined to try in some recipes because of it's apparent health benefits, and everything else was usual pantry stuff for a gal like me
vanilla
baking powder
sugar
cocoa powder
salt 
oil

Well let me tell you... this did not sound appealing to me, but I like to be a good hostess and so it's my duty to try and accommodate... 
It even called for a "flax egg"... uhhhh what?
after googling it and realizing it was just ground up flax seed and water I gave in. Alright. I'll try it. 

Well I'm certainly not one to let batter go to waste... and it was pretty good. 
Baked all 6 of them up (wasn't about to go crazy in case they were terrible)... and I'm tempted to make another batch. They're that good... and good for you!
(Yes... there are only 5 there because I ate one - quality assurance)

This... coming from the girl who recently bought "Oops all berries" by Cap'n Crunch...

P.S. they are delicious. But don't be mistaken. I'm not going vegan or even vegetarian. A juicy steak smothered in mushrooms and butter or the occasional McDouble can just never be replaced... in my life anyway:)

Vegan Black Bean 2-Bite Brownies

Adapted from Made in Sonoma[vegan][makes 6 small brownies] 
Ingredients:1/3 of a 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed [~1/2 cup]
1 flax egg [1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal, 2/5 Tbsp. water]
1 T coconut oil [or sub canola, vegetable, etc.]
scant 1/4 c cocoa powder
dash salt
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/2 t baking powder
heaping 1/2 t finely ground espresso powder or instant coffee granules
1/4 c semisweet chocolate chips [non-dairy for vegan]
dash of chocolate sprinkles
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 6 muffin tins.
2. Prepare flax egg by combining flax and water in a small bowl and letting it rest for 3-5 minutes.
3. Combine black beans through instant coffee in a food processor [sift in sugar if clumpy] and puree. Then stir in chocolate chips and sprinkles. Pour batter evenly into 6 muffin tins and smooth the tops with a spoon.
4. Bake for 17 minutes or until tops are dry and starting to pull away from the sides. Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment